Turmeric Roasted Carrots on Soft Black Lentils
The night before - remember to soak your lentils!
6 - 8 small to medium carrots, scrubbed (if your carrots are larger, cut them in half lenghtwise)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon finely grated fresh turmeric or 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup black lentils, soaked overnight
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, peeled
3 cups greens such as watercress, or wild arugula
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F/230°C
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Combine the olive oil, turmeric, cumin and a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pour over the carrots and make sure they are all coated. Pour onto the paper-lined tray.
4. Roast for around 20 - 25 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally. The carrots should be browned and tender but not totally soft.
5. Meanwhile, rinse the lentils, place in a pan with the bay leaf and garlic clove. Cover with fresh filtered water, around an inch above the lentil level. Simmer gently for around 20 - 30 minutes, until soft. Drain any remaining water, if any, and place the lentils in a bowl, dressing liberally with olive oil, Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper.
6. Gently combine the greens and lentils in a large bowl. Place onto a large platter, add the carrots, scraping any remaining cooking oil over the top.